The Intelligent Energy Systems and Flexible Market (iGRIDS) research group covers different subject areas related to intelligent energy systems with related market structures. Coherent energy systems where the cooperation between electricity, gas, heat and transport sectors involving ICT are the main research focus of the group. Control, stability and reliability of active distribution systems with a large amount of renewable and dispersed generation as well as new controllable loads are emphasized. The research area covers topics like coordinated control and operation, system protection, energy flexibility, power quality, provision of ancillary services and the possibility to run low carbon energy systems and networks with appropriate technical interface to establish and support socio-economic models and energy market mechanisms.
The following objectives and goals have been defined for the research group in Intelligent Energy Systems and Flexible Markets:
- To contribute to the development of the Smart and Active Energy Networks with appropriate market mechanisms.
- To contribute to the development of control, coordination and optimal aggregation strategies to realize synergy between electricity, thermal, gas and transportation sectors.
- To contribute to the development of new control strategies and energy management methods for distributed energy resources in order to make the Intelligent Energy Systems concept a reality.
- To contribute to modelling, analysis and control of distribution network grids which have a high penetration of dispersed generation including energy storages and flexible loads (electric, thermal, transport and gas) and compensation systems in order to assure a secure and reliable power supply.
- To consider the possibility to run the distribution network grid in connected and islanded mode and examine the necessary control and protection issues.
- To be able to evaluate the use and benefits of power electronics converter systems in the modern network grid.
- To consider different network planning methods where demand side management, demand response, smart metering and different long-term and short-term forecast methods are taken into consideration for the safe operation of the power system
- To facilitate smart grid flexibility market design, models and mechanisms.
- To contribute to methodologies and tools for integrated energy system analysis that enables actors (DSOs, TSOs, prosumers, aggregators etc.) to develop feasible investment, business potential and operational strategies in energy networks and systems with large penetration of renewables and/or dispersed generation.
- To develop benchmark technical solutions for socially inclusive and innovative energy systems and markets that can form the basis and create business models for social, economic and environmental sustainability.
- To promote and to strengthen the national and international collaborations with industry, public utilities, research institutes and academia in the field of intelligent energy systems and active networks.
- To achieve world class and international excellence and to become a leading international research institution within at least one of the core research areas.
- To attract high quality candidates for thesis projects and research scholars at all levels of education and research.
- To educate and train the next generation of energy systems’ researchers.
- To facilitate public and private sectors to be intensive in developing key enabling integrated methodologies and tools for society, which promotes more renewable energy production, environmental sustainability improves energy efficiency and economic savings.
- To explore how Modern and Innovative Energy Markets and Services could replace traditional schemes and improve current situations.
- To provide insights into the future role of Energy Markets and its contribution to the European Commission's Energy roadmap 2050.
- To support Rethinking in Energy Markets in terms of new energy/carbon pricing, retail energy markets, revising tariffs, regulatory frameworks.
Ongoing Research Projects
- Green and Flexibile District Heating and Cooling (HeatReFlex) (2019-2022)
- Smart citizen-centered local electricity to heat systems (SMARTCE2H) (2019-2022)
- Leveraging Networked Data for the Digital electricity Grid - Net2DG (2018-2021)
- SMILE (2017-2121)
- Voltage Control and Protection for a Grid towards 100 Power Electronics and Cable Network (COPE) (2017-2020)
- DiCYPS Center for Data-Intensive Cyber-Physical Systems (2015-2021): VBN or project home page
- SEMI - Sustainable Energy Market Integration (2017-2020)
Ongoing PhD Projects
- Modeling and Optimization of Active Distribution Network Operation Based on Deep Learning (Wenlong Liao)
- Intelligent Scheme of Integrated Energy Management for Future Smart Energy System (Mohammad Ali Lasemi)
- Analysis of Stability Issues and Enhanced Stabilization Techniques of DC Microgrids (Omid Lorzadeh)
- Energy Management Systems for Smart Buildings (Viktor Stepaniuk)