In the Batteries research group, we focus on activities at both battery cell level and battery system level.
The research activities at cell level are related to:
- Electrical and thermal performance characterization of battery cells in a wide range of environmental and loading conditions, emulating real-life usage
- Lifetime testing (accelerated or real-time) of battery cells using synthetic and/or real-life mission profiles
- Development and parametrization of accurate electrical and thermal battery cell models based on experimental data and data-sheet.
- Battery lifetime prediction based on battery performance-degradation models and machine learning techniques
- State estimation (SOC, SOH, SOP) of battery cells using battery models and/or data-driven methods
- Battery post-mortem analysis and aging mechanisms identification
The research activities at system level are related to:
- Designing and prototyping of smart batteries with extended lifetime and fault tolerance
- Diagnostics of EV batteries in both first-life and second-life.
- Optimized power and energy management strategies for batteries used in hybrid energy systems
- Development of mission profiles for battery increased-performance and long-lifetime.
- Center for Research on Smart Battery (CROSBAT) 2021 – 2027
- Sustainable Energy Systems (SENSE) 2019 – 2023
- Workshop Automated Battery Tester (WABAT) 2019 – 2022
- Nano-satellite Battery Monitoring (SABER) 2019 – 2022
- CloudBMS – The new generation of intelligent battery management systems 2018 – 2021
- Identification of Aging Mechanisms for State of-Health Estimation in Electric Vehicle-based Lithium-ion Batteries 2021 - 2024
Find all Batteries ongoing and completed projects on VBN.