Industrial/PhD Course: Sustainable Biomass Resources and Technology Pathways for Biogas and Biorefineries
23.08.2021 kl. 09.00 - 27.08.2021 kl. 16.00
Assoc. Prof, Jens Bo Holm-Nielsen email@example.com, Aalborg University, Esbjerg, Denmark
Assoc. Prof., Mette Hedegaard Thomsen firstname.lastname@example.org, Aalborg University, Esbjerg, Denmark
Jens Bo Holm Nielsen, Mette Thomsen, Tanmay Chaturvedi - Aalborg University, Esbjerg
The course will give an overview of utilizing biomass as a resource for energy, fuel, and biomass derived chemicals and value added products. The course will topics in:
- Sustainable biomass
- Different types of biomasses available (e.g. woody biomass, forest residues, agricultural residues, energy crops, algae, etc.)
- Competitive pretreatment technologies and how do they differ in physical and chemical characteristics
- Biomass conversion technologies with focus on biochemical (anaerobic digestion and fermentation processes) conversion processes and methanisation
- Biorefinery approach and how processes can turn biomass into fuels and higher value products;
- How to obtain advanced biofuels from biomass
- How are economic and environmental assessments performed for biorefineries
- How will policies shape the future of R&D in the biomass to resources sector
You should have at least BSc level knowledge on topics such as chemistry, mathematics and process engineering.
Form of evaluation:
Homework (non graded) and assignment (graded) to be submitted 2 weeks after the end of the course.
6000 DKK for PhD students outside of Denmark and 8000 DKK for the Industry.
Department of Energy Technology, Esbjerg
Niels Bohrs Vej 8, room C1.104, 6700 Esbjerg, Aalborg University
02.08.2021 kl. 23.59