Online Industrial/PhD course: Advanced Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics
16.03.2022 kl. 08.30 - 19.03.2022 kl. 16.00
Associate Professor Torsten Berning, firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate Professor Torsten Berning, AAU Energy
This PhD course is based on the textbook by H. B. Callen: “Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics”. It covers fundamental thermodynamic concepts such as the general principles of classical thermodynamics. Teaching will be conducted on the blackboard. The following chapters will be covered in detail:
- Chapter 1: The problem and postulates
- Chapter 2: Conditions of equilibrium
- Chapter 3: Some formal relationships and sample systems
- Chapter 4: Reversible processes and the maximum work theorem
- Chapter 5: Alternative formulations and Legendre Transformations
- Chapter 6: The extremum principle in the Legendre transformed representations
- Chapter 7: Maxwell relations
Basic knowledge in thermodynamics and mathematical skills including partial derivatives, Taylors expansion, and differentials.
Form of evaluation:
The students will be evaluated based on a Quizz in Moodle.
H. B. Callen: Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics, 2nd edition.
6000 DKK for PhD students outside of Denmark and 8000 DKK for the Industry.
Aalborg University, Fibigerstræde 11, room 3, 9220 Aalborg East
23.02.2022 kl. 23.55